Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A special Friendship


The first time I met Jay was in Phnom Penh, Cambodia in 2005. He was teaching media students at the Royal University of Phnom Penh. I was finishing my diploma thesis on newspaper marketing in Cambodia's changing environment.

The second time we met was in Berlin, Germany in 2006. Jay was traveling to Europe in his position as producer for a Philippine television network. I had just resigned from my job in Germany and accepted a consultant position in Manila, Philippines.

Today, Jay and I met for dinner before both of us will be traveling to Europe again next week. This time simply for vacation.

Despite living in the same city for the past 4 years, the opportunities to meet each other have not improved dramatically. As a matter of fact, the last time we met for dinner in Manila was almost a year ago. The reason for this involuntarily neglect is not only distance and chaotic traffic within Manila. We are both traveling extensively for our jobs.

And, here is the funny part. Whereas Jay has traveled to more European countries than I have, I have seen more of the Philippines than he has. Jay recently published a book about his travels, mainly throughout Europe. He got me inspired to gather my travels around the Philippines. Complementary literature: Europe as seen through the eyes of a Filipino and the Philippines as seen through the eyes of a European.

No comments:

Post a Comment