Monday, November 29, 2010

Surfing in La Union


I am a surf chick! I'm riding the waves on my pink and orange surf board like a pro. The beach photographers just can't get enough of me...

Glenn always says one should have goals! Admittedly, my fantasy might have gone overboard with me when coloring my surfboard. A five-hour bus ride in the middle of the night, from Manila to La Union, has these effects.

The goals for our surf weekend in La Union with our friends from Planet Zips were set for an unreachable high. From all the way up there they dropped deep when the first wave sent me and my (plain white) board crushing to the sandy bottom of the ocean. Oh, I just hope no photographer saw me!

Climbing back on my board I readjusted to a more humble goal: try not to kill myself. What I finally achieved (after an exhausting hour paddling in the waves) were a few well-balanced short surfs to shore.

La Union is a great place to surf or even to learn. The beach is clean and there are noticeable few vendors. The place has great waves (according to real surfers) yet is not flooded with tourists. For 400Pesos an hour, you can rent a surfboard and an instructor. For beginners I’d highly recommend an instructor. For half the price you can struggle the waves on your own, given the instructor believes you can handle the waves.

At night we fire danced on the beach to the live Samba tunes! We watched Chinese lanterns take off and chatted on the beach. Whoever got out of bed early joined the 7am yoga (guess who did and guess who did not ;-) ). What a great weekend on the beach with the Zippers! Thank you, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment