Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Airport Tales...

Manila's Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA 1) was just rated the worst in the world. Unfriendly personnel, lack of proper waiting and entertainment facilities were only some of the negative impressions recorded. In a questionable management style NAIA 1 manager denied the customers' moods. With this 'living in denial' attitude we can rest assured that nothing will improve in the years to come.

Then there is NAIA 3, the 'new' airport. NAIA 3 is a perfect example for corruption and miss-management. The German Fraport lost I don't know how much of its investment in this infrastructure improvement project. Even the German government is getting involved, urging the Philippine government to settle the issue. Flexing its power muscle, the German government froze funds for foreign aid and investment to the Philippines.

For years, the brand new airport was sitting idle, closed, awaiting a resolution. The legal battle is still ongoing but at least it's operational. However, it's mainly used by the budget airline Cebu Pacific for domestic and international flights.

Based on my experience this morning, going from Manila to Cebu, I'd rate this airport the worst, too.

But I should be fair. It's not the airport but Cebu Pacific's lack of managing the processes for check-in, boarding, luggage claim etc. Although I was at the airport 1.5h ahead of time, I was ushered into the 'late check-in' lane. The staff managed to keep me waiting for an hour to check in! And it's not that the line ahead of me was long. When the girl checked for 'late checkers—approaching me!—I told her that this is an absolute disaster. She assured me to "remind them". I told her: "Don't remind them, change it!" Permanently!

Cebu Pacific is bragging that 'the number of passengers increased in Q3'. Of course! With PAL being unreliable these days, fighting with striking employers and increasing competition, Cebu Pacific is eating PAL's lunch! It’s not so much a matter of choice but rather a matter of “getting there or not”. We don't fly with Cebu Pacific because we love the annoying 'Sky games' where you can win a cheap pouch if you are the first to raise a picture of your mother-in-law, or because we pay 80 Pesos 'web admin' fee if we book our flight ourselves! Charging for my own effort and no service in return. Am I missing something here?

All worked up over these issues my morning took an unexpected positive change. Ready to board, the ground staff announced they 'experience an exceeding volume of passengers'. The flight was overbooked. Now they scrambled to get 'volunteers with a flexible flight schedule'. In return, they'd give away a free round trip.

Sure! Being quick, spontaneous, and flexible as I am, I volunteered (after making sure I'd be booked on the next flight, only 40 minutes later!). At the end I ended up taking the flight I originally wanted, but was told it's fully booked... Another great example of Cebu Pacific's management style. At least I'm somewhat appeased with a free domestic round-trip ticket to any location! Palawan, here I come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment