Friday, April 1, 2011

Handicap (5) – Quality of Life

It's been 7 weeks to the day that I carry a piece of semi-permanent junk in my arm, also known as a "Cobra fixator". It's not a secret, I was very skeptical about switching from plaster cast to pins on my broken arm. The procedure seemed too invasive (holes drilled into my bone?), too risky (it's a surgery after all!), and simply not "necessary" (wouldn't plaster do?).

Struggling through the first days after the surgery (including an infection which could not be traced to the pins, known as pin-track infection) all my prejudices were confirmed. I was on a potpourri of painkillers, antibiotics, and paracetamol to simply get through the days and barely through the nights.

After 2 weeks the excruciating post-surgery pain as well as the 104+F / 40+C fever due to infection both had subsided.

From then on I considered my decision to "go pin" the best I've ever made! The quality of life is a thousand-fold better than carrying a cast! The beauty of the slick "Cobra" is it lets me move my joints! I can move my arm without holding it in an awkward position which leads to back pain. I can wiggle my fingers and even use them for typing and holding light things. I can move my wrist sideways (the "top pin" prevents the up and downward motion of my wrist). My finger strength is returning. My biceps however is shrinking... Oh well. I think rehab will be minimal. At least I hope so!

I agree, the look is something to get used to. My cobra is therefore hiding inside a bandage and only gets out during cleaning sessions.

One more week and she will be removed altogether. She is definitely not going into the trash! Right now, the ideas "key chain" and "wind chime" rank high in the ideas contest. Better / other ideas are still welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment