Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Embroidered Wisdom


Without discrediting the art of embroidery I do have my doubts with the wisdoms (or subtle indoctrination?) they display.


This one I found at my doctor’s office. I’d title it “Twisted Standards for Personal Success”. It reads:


To laugh often and much
To win the respect of intelligent people
And the affection of children.

To earn the appreciation of honest critics…


For the first time I thought “wow, this is actually nice…”. Then came the punch line that completely threw me off:


And endure the betrayal of false friends.

[...]
This is to have succeeded.

What?


First, what is a false friend? Isn’t a “false friend” an oxymoron? A person who is false is not a friend. Congratulations to everybody who can tell a friend from a non-friend.


Second, why would I endure the betrayal from anybody, let alone an identified “false friend” (read: non-friend or even enemy)?


Nobody with a spark of self-respect would endure betrayal. No matter who betrays. Friendship is based on mutual respect and trust. If one is missing or has been abused it’s time to call it off!

No comments:

Post a Comment