Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Pirates, Penélope, and Prosecco

Germany's Premiere of 'Pirates of the Caribbean 4 – On Stranger Tides' in Munich had style, indeed! As a premiere guest I had the utter pleasure to walk down the same red carpet (unfortunately not at the same time) as producer Jerry Bruckheimer, director Rob Marshall, the charming Penélope Cruz, and newcomers Àstrid Bergès-Frisbey (the mermaid) and Sam Claflin (the missionary). The only one missing was Johnny Depp. Although, given his wit I'm sure he was there semi-incognito in his Captain Sparrow outfit mingling with the hundreds of fans who imitated his infamous pirate style.

While sipping our Prosecco before the show I rubbed shoulders with Germany's next top models, the comedian Sissy Perlinger, and ad testimonial 'Joko'. Problem is the sea of 'celebrities' was lost on me since I am as out of sync with German celebs as I am with Philippine stars and starlets. I'm floating in a celebrity-free peaceful world with no one to envy and admire but me. While some girls fell over themselves to be photographed with the top models (now why would I emphasize and preserve the obvious...?!) or catch an autograph I flirted with the buffet. Less talkative, too.

Captain Jack Sparrow's journey to the fountain of youth is yet another, the fourth, pirate story spun with the same old sailors’ yarn, one could claim. And in fact it is. However, the great acting, the funny and charming characters of Penélope Cruz and Johnny Depp tangled up in a love-hate romance, an aging Keith Richards on a side show as Sparrow’s dad Captain Teague, and a wise use of 3D technology made the somewhat predictable story a fun and worthwhile movie experience! Go watch it!

Crissy, thank you again for this great surprise!

2 comments:

  1. Hehe, the three "P's" ;-)

    It was fun, indeed! You're very welcome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad we missed the cast!!! I'm so not an expert in this! ;(

    ReplyDelete