Sunday, June 27, 2010

Surprise visit


A friend of mine once told me, that a surprise visit is a priceless experience. Just like me, she was an AuPair in the US. She managed to surprise her family back in Germany with an unexpected visit. She talked about tears of joy and stunned faces. Somehow, that picture stuck with me.


Taking her advice to heart, I managed to surprise my sister, parents and grandma twice during my 4 year stay in the Philippines. All it takes is some fake e-tickets (to be e-mailed to your family for authenticity) and an accomplice who checks your family availability during your actual travel time.


I even once managed to surprise my well-trusted accomplice by collaborating with my family to lure him into visiting them and eventually me.


I should have known that there would be a payback time one day. Sure enough! Yesterday it was me who stood there, mouth open and in disbelieve to find my sister and my always trusted accomplice Lars marinating in our pool! Wait a minute! How did they get into the house, while we were busy sailing in Taal? Ha! A new constellation of accomplices had formed! Now, it even included Glenn!


Now things started to make sense! Glenn's eagerness to learn German so badly (I guess to be able to communicate with my sister via e-mail since January!), the envelope in the mailbox I stumbled upon (which Glenn quickly took from me, volunteering a lame excuse), and the “business phone call” he had to be home for at a given time...


Turns out, my sister was looking for the perfect 30st birthday gift for me and figured; she herself would be the best thing to 'bring over'. How right she was! Being afraid of flying she took Lars on board (for moral support during takeoff and landing) who volunteered to spent his vacation in the Philippines again. Together they conspired with Glenn who had the difficult task to carefully monitor and gently manipulate my ever-changing work and travel schedule to make sure I will not be bouncing around the Philippines while they are here!


I give all of them credit for perfectly planning and executing this crazy surprise visit! And, for keeping this secret a secret for almost 6 months! And yes, their presence was the best present I didn't even dare to ask for! Thank you so much!



No comments:

Post a Comment