Thursday, June 24, 2010

World Cup 2010 (2) - Germany vs. Ghana

Another 2:30am soccer match. I'm up, I'm in front of the TV. Glenn is supporting me in spirit. “Go Germany!”, he texts from the coziness of our bed which I just abandoned. I appreciate his moral support at this forsaken hour. Little does he know that the American team just won 1:0 against Algeria. Now being tied in points with England in Group C.


My tired eyes are glued to the screen. My back hurts after 15 minutes while I'm trying to get comfortable on an uncomfortable couch. The annoying sound of the Vuvuzela makes it impossible for me to fall asleep.


The first half of the match is torture. Both teams, Germany and Ghana, are strong. The ball goes back, forth, back, forth... I see a yellow card... back, forth, back, a kick, another yellow card... a corner, several attempts to score, missed, held by the goal keeper... Don't fall asleep, Jana! You might miss a goal! I'm texting with a German friend on the other side of Manila. Of course, he's up, too. It's like a being in a secret club.


Halftime! The hardest part of the game! How can I not fall asleep listening to the same monotonous advertising jingle, being both, repetitive and redundant!? Yes, every 4 years... the world gets together... to stand apart... Wondering if this line makes sense I doze off.


The Vuvuzela brings me back from far away beaches I was exploring in my dream. Another 45 minutes to go! Luckily Oezil finally scores a goal for Germany! I feel adrenaline rush through my body and all of a sudden, I’m truly awake! Now all I hope for is no technical mistakes on the German’s side. Just keep the status quo! Don’t rock the boat!


The final whistle ends the match with Germany walking off the field as winners! Not just as winners of the match, but also as leaders of Group D! Yeah! I quickly text my dad back in Germany a cheering message! I know he’s a lonely ranger when it comes to soccer with no one in the family except me sharing his passion for soccer.


I sneak back into bed just to hear Glenn mumble “And?”. “We won”, I say. Adding, “Your German colleagues will be in a good mood tomorrow!”



No comments:

Post a Comment