Thursday, July 22, 2010

Shanghai (1) - first impressions


Hot or warm. The choices on the water dispenser at Shanghai's Pudong airport are not necessarily, what I call refreshing. Looking at the flood of tourists clogging the immigration counters, I opt for the lesser evil and enjoy a lukewarm water drink. Welcome to China!


To my surprise, the line in front of me moves quickly. In no time, I smile into what looks like an upside down iPad with the navigation button being a camera. My passport details, including the number of my China visa, show up on the screen. I hear the stamps slamming down on my passport. Welcome to Shanghai!


Signs with English translations interpreting Chinese characters guide me to the metro, which links the airport to the center of Shanghai. All transactions are automated limiting the human face-to-face interaction when I buy my metro ticket. A big screen with the map of Shanghai lets me easily chose where to go. The results are short waiting lines and no language barrier.


After a 45 minute metro ride I get off at Lujiazui station (make sure you change trains at Guanglan station. The train leaving the airport does not go all the way to downtown!). An escalator surfaces me right into the center of Shanghai: in front of the Oriental Pearl Tower. What I realized first was the smell of clean air! And, everything else seems clean and organized for that matter. Massive skyscrapers give this part of town a modern, advanced and even futuristic touch. It's hard to ignore that the Dragon has awakened.


I forego the proposed 2-hour waiting line to go up the Pearl Tower, which promises a great view over Shanghai and the Huangpu River on three different levels (each level up costs additional 50 RMB, approximately 6 Euro or 340 Pesos).


Instead, I make my way to the JinMao Observatory, which looks like the Empire State Building. Well, at least it has a pointy top.


At 9:30 PM the waiting lines here are still long. At least I can enjoy watching the Chinese going crazy over picture taking next to Chaki Chan (his wax model of course) while I'm waiting. Again, in no time I'm inside a huge elevator, speeding me up 370 meters in no time, traveling at a speed of 9 meters a seconds. I pop my ears several times to balance the pressure. Up top, I get a great night-lit view of Shanghai in an almost 360-degree circle. It’s impressive how much light I see! Now I understand why China just surpassed America as the number one electricity user.


The elevator still spits people out onto the platform when I make my descent. This place is clearly prepared for tourists. And, to my surprise, they are mostly local. I am almost the only white nose.

The people here clearly understood to channel tourist up and down their sights in no time. They are making many tourist bugs by the mere fact that their 'tourist throughput' is incredible!


A quick cab ride and 18 Yuan later I check in at the Jinjiang Inn. 45 Euro a night for a nice air-con room with a big double bed, hot shower and complementary water is appropriate, I think.



No comments:

Post a Comment