Friday, July 23, 2010

Shanghai (3) - World Expo 2010


Soon, I would face a whole world of impressions, gathered here in Shanghai this year: the World Expo.


The Expo area covers 5.3 square kilometer and is spread out on both sides of the Huangpu River. Eight gates serve as entrances and exits. I am opting for the evening tickets, which allow admission starting at 5 PM for various reasons. First, at 90 Yuan they are the cheapest ticket option. Second, I hope the crowd is lighter in the evening. Third, it's not as hot as during the day. Fourth, the area is illuminated (which is a photographic challenge but a great spectacle for the eye!).


My plan pretty much works out. I walk right through the airport-like security control, including bag and body scanner. An expo-shuttle takes the crowd around in a big loop and across the river, so do ferry boats and the subway.


For day 1, I explore the Asia square. The big red China pavilion is seen from afar, so is the communication center, which looks like a big flying saucer.


The lines in front of some of the pavilions are simply incredible. I pass the Saudi Arabia pavilion, which hit record waiting times of 9 hours! I see the queue and wonder what must be in there to see to justify a 9-hour wait!


I've set my expectations for the Expo rather low. I'm already happy to see the pavilions from the outside and get an impression of what a World Expo feels like, for this is my first time visiting one.


I give it a shot at the Laos and Myanmar pavilion since lines there are really short. The interior is little impressive: a few pictures of the respective countries, a few installments displaying traditional building styles, and typical products.

I'm happy to be out and exploring again, which to me is taking this whole place in. The infrastructure besides the great architecture of some pavilions strikes me. Restrooms, water fountains, and volunteers to help you out (even though their English is limited, they are friendly and try to help), all of this is available and well signposted.


By 8 PM I'm down at the Huangpu River to watch the Music Fountain performance at the Waterside Terrace. What a great spectacle! With the Shanghai skyline as the backdrop, I hear classical Western and traditional Chinese music and see illuminated water fountains do a choreographed dance.

After almost 5 hours at the Expo my feet are flat and I’m ready to head home. Little did I know that the longest queue, and unavoidable for that matter, was still ahead of me: the cab queue.


The flood of people headed for the same exit like me already got me suspecting the worst. When I finally see the main road and the cab lane, I'm emotionally all geared up for another 2 hour wait. To my surprise, the line, strictly monitored by police officers, is moving quickly. No pushing, no jumping lines, no preferred service (not even for a mom with her sleeping 2-year old on her arm!). Whoever, especially tourists obviously not familiar with the rules of the game, tries to get ahead of the line gets disciplined with loud and angry sounding words right away. Not just by the police but also the crowd. Whatever I learned about the Chinese non-confrontational and indirect communication culture, I scrap it right here and now.


No comments:

Post a Comment