Saturday, July 24, 2010

Shanghai (4) - the city


The early bird catches the worm. And, sure enough, the good old saying worked for me when I got up early and went to the World Financial Tower before 9 AM. I literally walked right into the elevator of this impressive high rise building which, given its sky bridge on the 100th floor, reminds me of the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur. Within 60 seconds, I'm on the upper most floor in 474 meters height.


Again, I get a great view over Shanghai. This time I get to see the city skyline in broad day light, which gives away the outskirts of the city beyond the skyscrapers. Hundreds and hundreds of what look like two or three story houses clustered in strict lines with their roof colors matching as to identify a neighborhood. No wonder, given the city is home to more than 19 million people.


China's population is immense and growing, despite the one-child policy. It took me a day or two to realize what is missing in the picture (especially compared to Manila and the Philippines at large): children. My Chinese friend, a single child, of course, explains to me the one child policy that was implemented to counterfeit a growing population and shrinking resources to feed and house them. The policy imposes a hefty one time fine and usually job-loss for parents with more than one child. According to her, there are exceptions from the one-child rule. Two children are allowed if both parents are single children or, if they represent one of the 55 ethnic minority groups.


What comes along with the policy is a progressive reproductive health education, which my friend remembers to have undergone in middle school. At the same time, contraceptives are available.


As a big fan of self-determination, it is hard for me to take a stand on the one-child policy, which is one of the biggest interference in the individual decision making of the Chinese people. On the other hand, I do agree that we run out of space and resources for the mass of people on this planet. But, what good is a one child policy in China, when countries like the Philippines grow at a rate of almost 2 percent?


I wonder if, with a growing and more affluent middle class in China, a second child will become a status symbol of wealth.


Wealth seems to be all around me in Shanghai. The malls are packed with expensive brands. LancĂ´me, Mont Blanc, Louis Vuitton - you name it.


After a lazy stroll through Shanghai Old Town which houses not only fancy souvenir shops in colonial style buildings but also Haagen Daz, Starbucks and a Paulaner Biergarten just to name a few common culinary establishments, I make my way back to the Expo.


Knowing my way around already makes things much easier. Although, the distances in the maps are quite misguiding. My feet are flat by the time I reach the Germany pavilion. The line promises at least 3 hours waiting time. I proceed to the UK pavilion, which is called the Seed Cathedral and has fascinated me ever since I saw the first picture of it online. Thousands of fiberglass rods filled with seeds make the cube appear like a porcupine during mating season!


As soon as the sun has set, the crowd is getting lighter. I get the chance to visit a few pavilions, some more others less interesting. The Czech Republic was quite impressive with funky installations and displays of green technology and scientific advances. Norway presented itself from the cold side, with bear footprints molded in metal and frozen over. The Philippines did what the Filipinos are good at: perform. Under the theme 'performing cities' the crowd rocked when a local female singer started her performance. What a great glimpse of the Philippines!


No comments:

Post a Comment