Thursday, September 29, 2011

Nature's powerful forces

Manila bay walk has been my 'front yard' for the two years I've lived in charming Malate, or the 'Old Manila' which some voices claim to be a despicable red like district while others call it the home of the art scene.

Two days after typhoon Pedring paid a visit to Manila's bay side I paid my visit. I almost didn't recognize it. It's beat up, torn up, fractured in every meter of its roughly 1 kilometer long leg, stretching from Manila Yacht Club to the US Embassy.

Like a battered body with gaping wounds it's lying there lifelessly. Sandbags fill the gaps in the sea wall which looks like its front teeth got knocked out. Manila bay walk an open corpse exposing broken bright orange water pipes, like disconnected veins and arteries.

I feel like a voyeur, attracted to the crime scene by a youtube video, which shows the beating, the merciless pounding of an angry sea.

The city of Manila started collecting the skeletal remains, wipe off the blood, and catalog the damage. It's gonna take a few months in plaster bed before Manila bay walk will be able to walk again.

No comments:

Post a Comment