Tuesday, September 6, 2011

About hoops and loops and fiery connections

I met Bernadette during Planet Zips’ August SpinDependence in Manila. She not only impressed me with her height but especially with her fire-hooping skills! Almost effortless she whirled a flaming hoop up and down and around her body. I was truly impressed and ready to extend my Poi skills into hooping (let’s skip the fire for now). Ready to sign up for classes with Bernadette I learned she is Cebu-based. Too bad!

During my latest trip to Cebu I met her and more Cebu-based Poi practitioners. Over a truly Pinoy dinner (crispy pata, which I as a vegetarian only looked at from afar) we shared our experiences and frustrations learning the art of “fire handling”. It’s great to connect with strangers through a commonly shared passion!

My next trip to the Visayas will surely include a fire spin with the Cebu crowd. I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment