Thursday, December 23, 2010

Washington, D.C.

Welcome to Washington D.C., The Fortress! If it wasn’t for cars (instead of horses) and security guards (instead of knights) equipped with the latest technology (instead of suits of armor), I’d believe we’ve entered the medieval ages.

Instead of hard woods and stones, we use concrete blocks and movable metal spikes to block off building entrances and drive ways these days. Metal detectors, surveillance cameras, and big guns complete the list of visible security measures welcoming visitors to the Capitol Building.

Security is tighter here than on any airport we passed in the past four days getting from the Philippines to the US. It was only at the Capitol Building that I had to part from my body splash, wisely (so I thought) bought in a plastic bottle instead of a glass container. It didn’t matter. I had to throw it out along with the banana I had sneaked out from the breakfast buffet at our downtown hotel. While I was assisted to the garbage facility just outside the entrance area, Glenn had to proceed inside, separating the suspect couple.

Inside we took a tour and learned a lot about the history not only of the Capitol building itself but of America as a nation, and its political power structure. As with various museums and historic places in Washington, D.C. entrance is free of charge!

That is, if you get in. For the third time getting on top of the Washington Memorial was off my limits “due to heavy winds”. Agreed, the wind was blowing hard, even flipping my camera lens cap out of my hands (which was followed by a funny chase around the memorial to bring it to a halt!). I’d given my cold fingers to go up there! The weather was perfect and I so wished to get a great view over The Mall from up there. Well, maybe next time...

Mr. Lincoln is far more accommodating and inviting. His door is always open. Although it is quite a walk all the way to the end of The Mall. Definitely worth the while though. What a charismatic man he must have been! I can only imagine how his height (he was huge, considering his times), his progressive thinking, and his whole personality must have impressed the people. If you climb into the lap of the Lincoln Memorial, take your time to read some of his persuasive and history-altering speeches!

It’s hard to get close to the current President. The street in front of the White House was blocked off, so was half of the open area opposite. Five years ago I took pictures of protesters right in front of the White House! I guess times have changed for good.

Refreshingly open and completely unexpected was the Christmas market we ran into a few blocks from the Ford's Theater, where Lincoln was assassinated. All my fatigue was blown away in an instant in the face of little tents selling various arts and crafts, and food. A brilliant Dixie band entertained the whole place! Great! The only thing missing was some good hot Gluehwein...

No comments:

Post a Comment